Who should take this course?
Are you a Divemaster contemplating taking your professional dive training to the next level? Or are you unsure about completing an entire PADI IDC?
The PADI Assistant Instructor Course is just what you need!
Check out our PADI Go Pro Package Deals for discounts on multiple course bundles and free accommodation.
What will you learn?
This PADI Professional Course will begin to teach you how to develop your teaching skills. You will learn more about how to coordinate and supervise scuba diving activities. This course will prepare you for your instructor training through
- Knowledge development through self-study, quizzes, lectures and classroom presentations in our brand-new air-conditioned classroom -a space dedicated soley to the Instructor Training and other professional scuba diver training programs.
- Confined water skill review and assessment, workshops and presentations which are done a few metres away from our dock in the calm clear water of Utila Bay
- Open water workshops, rescue assessment and candidate presentations which are performed at an Open Water dive site accessed by one of our fast and comfortable boats.
You may be able to get college credit for the Assistant Instructor course and Instructor Development Course while enjoying time away on the island of Utila!
How can you start learning now?
Register for eLearning for the Instructor Development Course (IDC) – PADI’s eLearning option that lets you study independently at your own pace before class. There are nine interactive knowledge development sections. Prestudy online saves classroom time, which allows more time for practicing the skills that distinguish you as a PADI Instructor.
Also, sign up for eLearning for Dive Theory Online, if you haven’t already completed it or it’s been more than a year since you went through it. The program is a straightforward review of dive physics, physiology, skills, equipment and environment, plus using the Recreational Dive Planner (RDP). By successfully completing Dive Theory Online, you can get credit for the dive theory exam requirement during your IDC.
Visit Underwater Vision to ask about an IDC.
Also, view the PADI Instructor Development Calendar.
What's an IE?
An Instructor Examination (IE) is a two-day evaluative program that tests an instructor candidate’s teaching ability, dive theory knowledge, skill level, understanding of the PADI System, and attitude and professionalism. PADI IEs are standardized and conducted by specially trained PADI Instructor Examiners. The IE location, testing environment and examination sessions are organized to be as objective as possible to fairly and consistently evaluate a candidate’s abilities. Only those who meet the IE performance requirements earn the respected PADI Instructor certification. There is a fee for attending an IE.
View the PADI Instructor Examination Calendar.
The Learning Materials You Need
In Accordance with PADI Standards, Assistant Instructor Candidates at our PADI 5 Star IDC Resort will be required to own your own set of materials which you can purchase at Underwater Vision or bring from home. Please be sure to consult with us if you choose the second option.
The materials required for the PADI Assistant Instructor Course are the same materials which will be required for the PADI IDC course at Underwater Vision in Utila.
The 23-item pack includes:
- Instructor cue cards for PADI’s core courses (Open Water Diver, Advanced Open Water Diver, Rescue Diver and Divemaster)
- IDC Candidate Workbook and related reference materials,
- Lesson planning slates for confined and open water
- Quiz and exam booklets for the core courses
- Specialty outlines for Project AWARE courses
- PADI Instructor Manual.
The Prerequisites For This Course
In order to enroll in the Assistant Instructor Course you will have to meet the following PADI Standards:
- Be a PADI Divemaster or qualifying certification from another recognized organization
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have 60 logged dives, including night, deep, and navigation dives
- Have been a certified diver for at least 6 months
- Have CPR and First Aid Training within the last 24 months
- Be fit for diving and submit a PADI Pro Medical Statement (pdf) signed by a physician within the last 12 months - the PADI Pro Medical Statement (pdf) can be done at one of the clinics in Utila.